Monk Chariton of Karoulia
The monastery was founded in the 14th century by a certain St Gregory. It was restored in the second half of the 18th century and doubled in size at the end of the 19th century. The katholikon, dedicated to St Nicholas, was built shortly after the mid 18th century and frescoed in 1799. The cemetery church of All Saints was built in 1724 and contains interesting wall-paintings from 1739. The monastery took a very active part in the Macedonian Struggle, through its dependency of “Balabani”, the modern Neos Marmaras, in Sithonia, Halkidiki.
Source: Monk Chariton, Images of Athos, 3rd edition, Mount Athos, 2007